Sunday, September 24, 2006

Hello Hong Kong...Goodbye China!!



For those of you who don’t know, Typhoon Shanshan rerouted our Fall 2006 voyage away from Qindao, China directly to Hong Kong for four days. At first I was a bit disappointed, but I planned to see China and Hong Kong independently so my plans (that didn’t exist yet) could be easily modified. While we were avoiding the storm, life on the ship was moderately rocky. The crew roped books to the shelves and we ducktaped our drawers. I took a Dramamine two nights in a row but other than that, we avoided Shanshan’s wrath! On to Hong Kong…

Day 1- The great lunch adventure, Stanley Market, and DA CLUB?!?!


The ship cleared around 10:30 and we set off on our first adventure in Hong Kong. Granted, we had no concrete plans so the day availed itself to its share of unforeseen surprises. First, we were being led around by my friend “Mr. New York” who prides himself on having Cristal taste on a Kool-Aid budget. That’s right, my friends-KOOL-AID. Perhaps that can explain why he tried to drag us into the Ritz Carlton for lunch!! He had to be out of his mind. Once again, I had to reiterate the fact that I will not be coaxed into spending money that is not in my budget for things I don’t even want! So, I left him in the snazzy restaurant while I went to find something a bit more practical. Before I knew it, all seven of us were enjoying a fabulous Japanese lunch at this cute little spot. I know you may be wondering why I ate Japanese food instead of Chinese food. I just didn’t get enough of the tempura, sushi, (today I had mango shrimp sushi rolls with Wasabi and fresh ginger!) udon noodles and fried dumplings. My mouth is watering again, but in a few minutes I’m off to have a farewell dinner at Pizza Hut. You read correctly. PIZZA HUT. I’ve also had three cheese burgers in the last three days. Call me Miss Ultra American 2006 if you want, but when I can’t get my Momma’s comfort food, A McDonalds, Starbucks, or Hagen Dais (sample J ) will satisfy me in any country. Don’t worry, I will continue to eat my fair share of exotic cuisine on this trip! I’m a traveler not a tourist!

After lunch we went in search of the great markets everyone raves about. Now I am trying to exercise “shopping self discipline” until I get to Vietnam. (At which point I will just go buck wild!LOL joking…) My goal for Hong Kong was to shop in moderation and only for great deals I really loved. This was not a hard task at Stanley Market because the goods were TERRIBLE. I do mean terrible. I did not buy a thing (not even the tempting rhinestone belt…), and we spent at least three hours there. By the time we left, I was just ready to shower, eat a cheeseburger, Golden Oreos (I only have one box left L ) and watch the rainbow light show of the downtown buildings. After my fabulous dinner, Carmina asked me to go “out”. Once again, I was on my way into the city without a CLUE regarding my destination. I love subways, and the other transit systems are quite negotiable. I was getting the hang of the destination-less trips so I went to a 5-star hotel concierge and asked where the nearest disco was located. I’m not a drinker, nor have I ever been “clubbing” so I just wanted to dance. He directed us to this club called Hot. And boy, was it hot. So hot in fact, that Carmina and I were the only people on the dance floor. Granted, it was Lady’s Night (at 11:00), but I at least thought that some people would be there shaking a tail feather. I had a virgin Pina Colada that cost me 13 USD!!! The club was nice, the music was slammin’, and they even had free internet which I used to email my Daddy who had just arrived at work.LOL. Fun times. We imitated J-Lo and Beyonce until about 1:20 a.m. and walked back to the hotel. After rationalizing myself out of a shower, I crashed until…

Day 2----Shopping ‘til I drop at the Lady’s Market!

Jihanne and I did not wake up until 12:50 p.m. It was great. But let me give a little piece of advice to future SASers. Don’t have so much fun hanging out with friends and avoiding homework while you are at sea to the point that you view time in port as a chance to catch up on sleep, relaxing, or studying. Really, port time is no time to paint your nails or sleep half the day away, but I’ve done both of those things in the last two countries! I guess it doesn’t help that I stay up until 4:00 a.m…..no rest for the world traveler! LOL. Anywhoo, Jihanne and I navigated the subways to get to Mong Kok Station where we were greeted by the largest street market I had ever seen. Vendors tried to sell us everything from crazy lingerie to fake Jade jewelry and IPods that didn’t work. This was also the first time that I put my bargaining skills to the test. As a team, Jihanne and I slashed prices in half, walked away (and were pulled back by the vendors), negotiated for multiple discounts, and basically exercised our manipulative prowess. It was magical. LOLOL. I won’t tell you everything I bought, partially because I snagged a few gifts and because my parents are reading this. I can still catch heat thousands of miles away you know!!!!! Let me just say I bought souvenirs, dresses, shirts, purses, jewelry, and a pair of shoes. ‘Nuff Said.

Day 3 Historic Hong Kong City Orientation

So Jihanne convinced Diona and me to accompany her on a FDP (Faculty Directed Practicum) to see the sites of Old Hong Kong. I really went for emotional support because it was a touristy bus tour. The highlight of the trip was when we were the surprise guests at an Anglican wedding. I snapped shots of the bride and escort as she walked down the isle. (I did try to be incognito- It wasn’t like I was the paparazzi!lol) We saw the most expensive building in the world to date (the HSMBC bank building). Overall, it was a long day of “Off again On Again” bus trips. Nothing too impressive for me…

After the trip Jihanne, Diona, and I went back to Lady’s Market and spent some more money.

Day 4- Buddhist Monastery and Lantau Island

Today was very similar to yesterday because we were being herded around on a motorcoach. I was exhausted because I stayed up until 4:00 am checking my email and barely woke up in time for the trip. Our first stop was a dirty beach that was advertised in the field book as “a beautiful beach with white sands”. Needless to say, I did not stick my toes in the water. After the beach we went to the Tai O Fishing village. This was my first glimpse of poverty on this trip. People lived in shanty houses on stilts, and made a living selling dried fish parts, fruit, and various wares to travelers. The stench in the fishing village made me gag, and I could have done without this stop. I rode on a sampan yesterday and observed fishing villages, and I felt extremely nauseous and faint in the Tai O village. I’m not sure what’s going to happen when I go to India and developing countries. We also visited the world’s largest sitting bronze Buddha statue on Lantau Island. We also had a less than appetizing vegetarian lunch at the monastery. I don’t mean to sound insensitive, but I’m a little “templed out”…LOL

Trip Highlights

*I rode a cable car thousands of feet from Lantau Island back to the main land. It was beautiful!

*Right now I am rocking one of the really great shirts I found at the market!

*I had a blast dancing the night away while the Japanese girls wondered if I was really Beyonce…LOL.

* I spiral set my hair all by myself this week! Although I was a bit afraid after two hours of blow drying my thick locks, I successfully pulled off the curly look!

I’ll be in Vietnam in two days. Perhaps I’ll have better experiences with the search for phone cards and stamps.

At the moment, I am sitting in a Pizza Hut with friends and I’ve been waiting to eat for more than an hour. I’m tired and famished. Not to mention the fact that I have a tremendous amount of homework waiting for me on the ship. I certainly hope this pizza is good. LOL. At the end of the day, despite communication barriers, long tours, and cranky people, I’m still going around the world. Life is good.

Always,
Rhonda

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Baby-Girl!
Thank You So Much For The Update! Chancelor and i needed that. I am glad you are blessed to experience the world and it's many wonders by way of S.A.S.
Be Sure To Check Your E-postcard's.
By noon on Monday September 25, 2006 i should have an update on Little Master Luke Thomas Moore.
Mr.T.Steel is resting comfortably at home following doctor's orders.
Papa took Adrain Jr. and Malian to the company pinic yesterday, they had a ball, despite the rain!
Your brother is all over town in the escort. Oh I'm sorry, his car. Everybody back here misses you so much. But we are all so proud that you allow us to take the journey with you. Always remember God spoke three (3) little word's. As recorded in the book of Genesis "Let There Be!" So as you visit and tour the world "Think 3"
I Love You,
Mommy

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's A Boy! It's A Boy!

Little Master Luke Thomas Moore

Was born at 8:01 a.m.

September 25, 2006

He is 5lbs. 9ou. and 19 inches long

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey rhonda i see you have gotten quite comfortable with the novel writing lol can't wait to hear more about it! continue to enjoy yourself!

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Rhonda,
Thanks for sharing your travel experiences. You are such a good writer. I am proud of you and miss you very much.

Much love Daddy

PS. Ma-dea askes about you everytime I talk to her (at least once a week).

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home