Thursday, February 14, 2008

Ten Interesting Madrid Moments...


Hola! I wanted to mix things up a bit this time because I am tired of writing super long essay entries. Here are just a few highlights (and lowlights) from the last few weeks. Enjoy :-D

10.) Lately my teachers have been saying “muy bien” in response to a few of my comments. Those “very goods” are definitely worth their weight in gold. Between tutoring, studying, and more of the same-I finally feel like I’m treading water as opposed to drowning in subjunctive verb tenses and 85 million grammatical exceptions. Since I only have a month left, I’m not sure if I’ll be doing any expert swimming-but I’m making it. And for that-I am thankful. Lol

9.) ISA trip to El Escorial- I had a surprisingly good time! Basically, it was another visit to palaces, churches, and libraries. However the view of central Madrid was AMAZING. I also clicked with a girl named Rachel, and we hung out most of the day. Overall it was a refreshing break from the recent madness…see numbers 5 and 6.

8.) I figured I’d throw a bad moment in the bunch. A few days ago I went to Al Campo (Madrid’s Wal-Mart Supercenter) to pick up a few snacks. When I got to the check-out counter the server gave me a snotty look and said, “No te sirve.” And handed me back my debit card and i.d. I only had two euro’s worth of snacks. I shop there all the time. AND I use my debit card. I stayed calm and explained to her that I was from “Estados Unidos” (as if that holds any weight…lol) She had the nerve to say that she needed to see my passport. Who did she think she was?!?! A customs officer?!?!---No, she was a checker at Al Campo who denied me service because she doubted or disliked my nationality. I don’t have the command of the Spanish language that I needed to effectively summon her boss and be the “indignant, offended customer.” So, I took my cards and left without my white chocolate cookies. It was the strangest feeling. I went back to a place before my time in which minorities were not allowed to shop freely. I’m not saying I experienced racial profiling in Madrid, but I can say that I shared a moment of their offense. “My money spends just like theirs! I worked hard for my money! Why can’t I buy what I want/need?!” I left feeling a little defeated, but overwhelmingly thankful that I live in Generation Y.

7.) The next day I sashayed into Al Campo, found 20 euro worth of items, AND paid with my debit card… No passport required.

6.) My host mom isn’t speaking to me at all. And she badmouths me to my roommates, houseguests, her children, and practically anyone who will listen. I decided to move to a new family for a number of reasons. I am tired of a 2 hour commute to and from school. I live so far away from the center of the city that most of my evenings are spent in my sweats and “making moves” via the net….That’s no way to experience MADRID! So I am moving to the center of the city. I look forward to going to the theater, more museums, disco’s etc. No worries, I’m still going to study hard. I’m just going to play a little harder too. I’m working on not taking life TOO seriously, and this is a step in the right direction. LOL.

5.) My new family consists of a 55 year old artist/writer and her 21 yr. old daughter. I won’t live with any other American or international students. I am SO excited about this change of scenery. I’ll get to practice my Spanish and explore to my heart’s content. The ISA director described them as “correct and almost posh” If you know me, you can feel my excitement…I love all things posh…well most.

4.) I’m going to Granada this weekend! It’s a beautiful city with too many historical wonders to describe. Pictures coming soon!

3.) I met another Alpha Kappa Alpha woman here!! This has to be the icing on my cake. This is one of the primary reasons I joined my sorority. No matter where I go in the developed world, I have a sister-committed to common goals. I am thrilled.

2.) As you can see, the depth of my “top ten list” is fading fast! I’ll use this spot for disjunctive but important commentary.

*Happy Birthday to some very important people~Mommy, Tiffany, Russell-

I hope this birthday is twice as good as your last and only HALF as awesome as

your next.

*I only have one month left in Madrid. I’m excited to begin the next chapter of my life…I’m just getting into the groove of this Euro-chill city. It’s just getting good! But, all good things must come to an end (ya’ think?) –and I am not dreading the end of this at all.

1.) I’ve made considerable progress in my job search. I have a second phone conference today. If this is “the one” then I still have another 30-minute phone interview and an all day in person interview to complete. The entire process will last another month-so I’m not name-dropping yet. I know that “rejection is direction” according to Bishop Noel Jones, but I’d hate to blab all about job X on this blog-only to contradict it all if something doesn’t work out…So I wait, pray, and hope that this is the one... Speaking of “the one” Happy Valentines Day to all of you lovers out there. To my first love, my #1 boo…I can’t wait to see you when I get back. Love ya Daddy! In fact, I love all of you people. You are great Americans.

Always,

Rhonda

NEW PICTURE LINK

http://ualr.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2025243&l=267c7&id=120500037





1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the b-day shout out-trying to find the funds for a spa day at Hotel Zaza before the Jill Scott concert to celebrate. I'm liking the new blog format. I hope things are working out better with your new host family situation. Sounds like the previous arrangement got out of hand-time to move on. The pics were nice. Hope to hear about the potental trabajar situation soon. You tell that WalMart checker-NO JUSTICE! NO PEACE! GO OBAMA!

Bogan

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home