SAS FINALE!!

Croatia: The Calm Before the Storm in an $80 nutshell.
I did not have great expectations for Dubrovnik, Croatia. Granted, I was excited to see a new country, but I did not have a mile-long list of “must-sees” I didn’t obsess over Lonely Planets and Top Ten Guides, and I did NOT have my days planned to the max. My itinerary consisted of finding cute little cafes, sipping coffee, and getting reconnected to my life via the illustrious World Wide Web. And that is EXACTLY what I did.
Day One-The Dubrovnik Preview
Kiyanna and friends went on an SAS city orientation while I slept the morning away on the ship. Around 4:00 p.m. we walked around the port area in search of Old Town, with no success. We did stumble upon a tiny shopping center where we looked at shoes and FINALLY rode an elephant. (If you remember, I searched for ride-able elephants in Vietnam and India-so I finally had my chance…for 50 cents in the middle of the kiddy rides. I guess it’s okay that my elephant was plastic. The world will never know…) We returned to the ship around 7:00 when it got too cold and dark outside.
Day Two- Free Wireless and Cappuccino
We took a bus to Old Town Dubrovnik around 2:00 and began the hunt for a café with free internet. After about an hour of browsing, we found the café and sat glued to our computer screens for three hours-STRAIGHT. We returned to the ship, ate dinner, and went back to Old Town to chill in a beautiful but empty jazz club.
Day 3- More Wireless.
12-12-06 The Update
I know this is somewhat abrupt, but the remainder of my trip was somewhat of a blur. I enjoyed the relaxed nature of Croatia. Spain was a whirlwind! After taking a flight to Barcelona, I spent Thanksgiving and the following days relaxing in the city. I shopped for an Ambassador’s Ball dress, ate McDonalds for Thanksgiving dinner, and used wireless. (You may be thinking, why does she spend so much time on the computer in port? We were so internet deprived on the ship, and it was a much needed respite!) I also enjoyed seeing the intricate art work of Gaudi at Park Guelle and La Sagrada Familia. After we returned to the ship, I spent the next several days studying, writing papers, celebrating, attending dinners, receptions, and socials. I barely had time to catch my breath before the voyage ended. I am somewhat lost for words, but I would like to thank you. I appreciate your interest in my travels and commentary on my adventures. If you would like more information about any aspect of my trip (Blog moms and future SASers) please do not hesitate to leave me a message and I will answer you as soon as possible! I have included a poem below (from my 30 pg. ethnic autobiography for Dr. Klein’s group therapy class) that summarizes how I feel about the voyage at this point. I’m still not finished processing my experiences, and I’m sure I will experience a wave of varying emotions over the next year.
Currently, I am sitting in the middle of my living room, wondering where to begin unpacking my life. In a few weeks, I will start studying for the LSAT and preparing for law school. As my mom likes to say, this was only my first voyage around the world. I am thankful beyond words for the opportunity, and I am truly embracing my identity as a citizen of the world. Please enjoy the piece below. Also, check out pictures at the following link
http://ualr.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2012379&l=84640&id=120500037
Always,
Rhonda
“My New Normal”
I’m used to toddlers asking their mommies if I’m made of real chocolate.
It happened to me in Japan, Vietnam, and Croatia.
I expect people to stop me and take my picture-as a novelty, phenomenon, or spectacle I’ve been photographed around the world.
It’s quite routine for me to stand and argue for at least 20 minutes over prices
20 Rupee or 20,000,000 Vietnamese Dong
Same Same…But Different.
Before my world travels, I didn’t even have a boyfriend
But in the last three months, I’ve turned down four wedding proposals.
In the spirit of Dave Chapelle, Everybody wants to be an American
But nobody wants to be an American.
They don’t even think I’m American.
I’ve been called Sister, Friend, Lover, Cousin, Habibi, Guapa, Auntie, and Nigger.
Ignorance, wit, innocence, and trickery have challenged my flexibility.
I’ve seen absolute poverty in the worst sense of the word.
From Romanian mothers pimping their babies for a little extra Euro
And the perverted camel driver who wanted just a bit more baksheesh
To the amputees or “amputees” sitting on the street…waiting on my dollar.
I’ve grown used to fighting over the power of the dollar
With my friends, rickshaw drivers, merchants, and the kids peddling postcards…
Or anything for that matter.
Everywhere I go, people are trying to make a dollar out of fifteen cents.
I’m used to it.
From Japan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Burma, India, Egypt, Turkey, Croatia, and Spain
I have changed.
Once a girl with no passport, tiny worldview, and limited experiences
I’ve seen the world.
Nothing is absolute.
It’s all relative.
But I do know one thing for sure.
With all of its growing pains, perils, and inherent flattening
The world, as I know it now, is normal.

2 Comments:
wow wow wow! Great post!
oh, and you KNOW I MUST HEAR about those 4 wedding proposals....
Post a Comment
<< Home